This is the second installment in a Monday series.

AFI is an acronym for American Film Institute. Here is a link to their site. They are famous for their "greatest" lists of American Cinema. One of their compilation lists consists of ten films ranked in each of ten categories. Thus comprising a list of 100 films. Not necessarily the greatest 100 films, there's another list for that.

Every Monday on this blog, I will review a category.
The second category to undergo review is:

Fantasy

AFI defines “fantasy” as a genre where live-action characters inhabit imagined settings and/or experience situations that transcend the rules of the natural world.
By presenting dreamlike realms where fairies flourish, witches scheme and pigs fly, fantasy demands that audiences believe in magic and hope for wishes to come true. (Courtesy AFI)

10. Big (1988)
"I wish I were big." Tom Hanks as a big kid. This movie works on so many levels. Outstanding cast. The scene in the toy store where they play "Chopsticks" on the giant keyboard is a great scene. This is the second greatest film in the genre of hero makes a wish and deals with unintended consequences.

9. The Thief of Baghdad (1924)
This is a film I have not seen. It's the only silent film on any of the lists. I'm not even sure I know how to find it if I want to watch it. It goes on my list of films I need to watch.

8. Groundhog Day (1993)
"I got you babe." This film is hilarious, heart warming, and heart wrenching all at the same time. Bill Murray at his absolute best. Did I mention I almost got to meet Bill Murray on my honeymoon? A tale for another time...

7. Harvey (1950)
"Well, thank you Harvey! I prefer you too. " Jimmy Stewart. An imaginary bunny. That's about all I know. I have never seen the entire film. It's on my list.

6. Field of Dreams (1989)
"Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa." This movie has some of the greatest quotes. The soliloquy at the end by James Earl Jones is a great moment. "Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom.... "
This is hard one to watch without tearing up, at least for me.

5. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
"Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to." Santa on trial. Imagine, there was cynicism in the 40's. I thought it was a modern invention. I believe in Santa Claus.

4. King Kong (1933)
"It was beauty killed the beast." Even with cheesy special effects, it holds up. The story is timeless. This is a common theme with great movies. Regardless of what's going on around the characters, the human (or ape) interaction could take place in any time or location.

3. It's a Wonderful Life(1947)
"Attaboy, Clarence." The greatest Christmas movie. It also spawned one of my favorite SNL parodies of all time. Often imitated, never duplicated. The greatest film in the genre of hero makes a wish and deals with unintended consequences.

2. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
"One ring to rule them all." I could watch this trilogy every week and never get tired of it. Formula for success: 1. Start with the greatest fantasy series 2. Go to New Zealand with unbelievable scenery 3. Get great acting 4. Find a visionary director. 5. Start filming.
I'm not sure this is even the best film of the trilogy. You could get an argument for The Return of the King, it did win 11 Oscars after all.

1. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
"I'm Melting." I recently went to the Smithsonian. One of the items I had to see was the ruby slippers. Those flying monkeys still give me nightmares.

Omissions:
Since I haven't seen The Thief of Baghdad, it's probably not fair to say it shouldn't be on the list. However, it shouldn't be on the list. If I go to a movie and have to read, I'm ticked. I'm a fan of Big, but there are films better on the omission list. The problem with Twelve Monkeys(1995) is that I don't know which category it would fit under. How you can make a list of the best fantasy films of all time and exclude The Princess Bride(1987) is beyond belief. Come on, it has Andre the Giant for goodness sake. Others I would consider: The Green Mile(1999), Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory(1971), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(2004).

2 Comments:

  1. Paula Reece said...
    I don't think I'd categorize "Big" as a fantasy...just me though. AFI probably knows what they're talking about. I still haven't seen any of the Lord of the Ring movies. (I have, however, seen "The Ring," which I will never, ever let you forget.) "The Wizard of Oz" always freaked me out a bit. When the witch's shoes curled up, it gave me the heebie-jeebies. And the monkeys? They go without saying. The wizard at the end is freaky too. But considering the year it was made, what an amazing feat.

    I hope you don't make me watch a silent film with you.
    Anonymous said...
    Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "AFI 10 top 10's Category #2" to our Directory of Honeymoon Travels and Locations. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


    Warm Regards

    honeymun.com Team

    http://www.honeymun.com

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home